This post was sponsored by Neutrogena® as part of an influencer activation for The Motherhood. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) guidelines concerning the use of endorsements and testimonials in advertising. I received complimentary products to facilitate my review.
When I was diagnosed with a “near melanoma” in 2015, my summers dramatically changed. I love being outside in the summer – I love the beach, the pool, and being in the sun. But now, with my health at risk, it’s so important that I’m protected. It’s also important to me that my children are protected. I apply sunscreen regularly, every single day, and I hope that as my children see me doing it, they realize how important it is. That’s why Neutrogena’s Mimic Mommy campaign really spoke to me, because I know that they learn so much just by seeing their mom doing something.
Neutrogena’s call to action campaign is for moms to use sunscreen in front of their children to show exactly how important it is. #MimicMommy Mondays are a great reminder for moms to apply sunscreen in front of their children, so that their kids follow them.
Here are some facts that you may not have known:
- More than 350 Americans are diagnosed with skin cancer every hour. That seems like a lot until you have a bad experience and realize how many other people you know have been through the same.
- This is scary – just 1-2 bad and painful sunburns can increase the risk of skin cancer by 40 percent. You really do need to be diligent.
- Studies support the fact that kids are likely to adopt healthy habits (including sunscreen application) if the see their moms doing it.
- 99% of dermatologists recommend that their families and friends use sunscreen
- 99% of dermatologists agree that using sunscreen helps lower skin cancer risk
Here are our sunscreen application tips:
- Make sunscreen part of your routine: keep a tube by your toothpaste – a recent study showed that you are more likely to increase sunscreen usage if you place it next to your toothpaste – something you already use daily.
- Apply before you head out into the sun, so that you don’t forget once you arrive.
- Don’t forget often forgotten areas like the hair part, tops of feet, and tops of ears.
- Get help on your back and other hard to reach areas.
- Carry a tube along with you so that you’ll have sunscreen if you end up spending unplanned time outdoors.
- Apply a little under your clothes/bathing suit too, so that you won’t get burned if your clothes shift.
- Remember to reapply regularly, and after toweling off/getting wet.
- Find a great sunscreen that you love. I regularly use the Neutrogena® Beach Defense® Sunscreen (usually the Neutrogena® Beach Defense® Sunscreen Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 70 and the Neutrogena® Beach Defense® Water + Sun Protection Sunscreen Stick Broad Spectrum SPF 50+, which is water resistant for up to 80 minutes, lightweight, and smells great). The Neutrogena® Sheer Zinc™ Sunscreen Lotion is also a great option for sensitive skin.
To learn more about these Neutrogena® sunscreens, and the #MimicMommy movement, visit this website.
Neutrogena teamed up YouTube stars the Holderness Family to encourage families to dance their way to sun protected skin. To help support the cause, Neutrogena will donate $10K to the Children’s Melanoma Prevention Foundation.(read more here). Check out their #mimicmommy video below.
You can see our sunscreen routine here.
Win it! We have three #MimicMommy sunscreen kits to giveaway to three lucky winners. US Addresses only, enter via the Rafflecopter.